[Interview] ‘Pastelwasteland’ X ‘ARTLOVER (아트러버)’

(Image. Pastelwasteland)

Pastelwasteland : Hello! How are you today? What does self-isolation look for you?

ARTLOVER : I have been doing a lot of vocal practicing and exercising, as well as listening to a lot of music. And writing a song called “Don’t Blame A Bat”. lol.

Pastelwasteland : So, diving right in, last month you released the video for new track ‘Heart of Stone’. How has the reaction been so far?

ARTLOVER : I guess people have been reacting positively. I think existing fans found that some changes like ‘Heart Of Stone’ has more of a personal style and ballad feeling in it, compared to my previous EP “Queen Of Retro” that had more dance vibes.

Pastelwasteland : You have your own blend of rap and minimalist beats which I am a big fan of- do you like to experiment across different genres, or do you prefer to stick to similar sound and beats?

ARTLOVER : Thank you for your kind words. I just follow what I love to make and keep experimenting and innovating as an artist should!

Pastelwasteland : What can we expect from you in the next few months in terms of new projects?

ARTLOVER : I was planning to make an EP and Music Video in London. And now I am waiting for Covid-19 to end.

Pastelwasteland : How has your travel and visits to different countries inspired your music/ sound and visuals, if at all?

ARTLOVER : Yes, I usually adopt the atmosphere when I’m landing in the new country and apply it to my project. It’s like, if you make a song under the Christmas tree it would sound more like a Christmas carol right?

Pastelwasteland : If you had an ideal vision of where you would all be in five years, what would it look like?

ARTLOVER : Hopefully, get my own houses around the world, London, Seoul, NYC. Keep traveling around with 2 cats. And be able to do my project on a major scale.

Pastelwasteland : In this kind of industry, it can be tough to feel like you’re moving forwards sometimes. How do you battle these feelings when they come up, and do you have any advice to other people who might be struggling in a similar way?

ARTLOVER : It is tough, and I didn’t expect it when I started because I just followed my heart. Until the first hit, most musicians are struggling with their income and have to get a part time job and managing the time between their music career and the side hustle.

My vocal teacher said, “Audiences will never know the pains of the process and they will only hear what song you release. If you want a good state of mind when starting music, remember, music has no time limit, and the reason you keep carrying on is that that process should be pleasant. If you feel it’s tough, you learned music the wrong way from the beginning.”

Pastelwasteland : And final question! It’s more of an invitation actually. Use the next few sentences to tell us what you’re up to next, and where we can follow you online :)

ARTLOVER : ‘Heart Of Stone’ will be released in the beginning of April in Korea via the Korean label ‘Chilly Music’. The best place to follow me is on youtube where I post new content as often as I can :)

Comments